An RPG Maker tour de force, and a divisively controversial work for fans.
Yume Nikki is an indie adventure game made by kikiyama and published by AGM PLAYISM. It is a very unique title that has become one of the most well-known indie games to come out of Japan. Can you make it to the secret ending? You are free to explore the various dream worlds at your own pace. If you check certain characters or items in the game you will collect an “Effect.” These “Effects” can be used to change the main character’s appearance. It is unlike any other RPG especially in the fact that there really is no action or dialogue to speak of. This gives the game a very dark and foreboding atmosphere.
|Release Date: 10 Jan, 2018|
Publisher: AGM PLAYISM
Genre: Adventure, Casual, Free to Play, Indie
|Minimum Specifications |
OS: Win 7
|Recommended Specifications |
OS: Win 10
- There are no particular goals nor story of which to speak. You simply walk around.
- (During this time, you can use the 1 or 3 keys to implement special movements and effects.)
- Checking certain characters inside the dream will increase the number of “effects”.
- Using the same “effect” a second time will cause the character to revert to their original form.
- Using “effects” will cause the main character’s appearance to change.
- “Effects” can only be discarded inside rooms with many doors.
Yume Nikki Trailer
Yume Nikki Review
Yume Nikki, or Dream Journal in its native japanese, is, if it can be considered anything at all, a game about isolation. You walk around aimlessly in very big rooms with seemingly random landmarks, and see what you find. You have to be in the right mindset in this game, it's not a fast game by any means. You have to give it the time and mentallity it demands. The release of this game on steam gives modern gamers a chance to look at how truly weird the world of Indie gaming was before Kickstarter, Early Access, and the rise of the AAA/Indie dichotomy. It has a very good balance of keeping it ominous and creepy without ever getting ridiculous or stale. If you enjoy atmospheric horror and surrealism this game is just for you.